Our Environment, Our Story
Tiaki – means to care for people and place. New Zealand is precious, and everyone who lives and travels here has a responsibility to look after it.
The Tiaki promise is a commitment to care for New Zealand, for now and for future generations. By following the Tiaki Promise, you are making a commitment to New Zealand - to act as a guardian, protecting and preserving our home
Everyone here at The Munro Hotel Group are committed to this promise
Munro Hotel Group is focusing on reducing our carbon footprint, our natural resource usage and improving how we can reduce the harmful impact on the environment that our business makes.
Our Social Obligations
Munro Hotel Group strives to support, develop and provide a safe working environment for our employees and the local community around us.
We believe in supporting the community that supports us –through sponsorship, community involvement, fundraising initiatives and by purchasing local within the Nelson region as much as possible.
We care for our land, our region, our guests and the future
When staying with us consider:
- Bringing your reusable water bottles – our water is safe to drink, filtered twice before reaching the tap. We also have water coolers available in public areas for you to fill your own bottle.
- Recycle your rubbish as much as possible, we have recycling bins around the complex or separate it in your room and we can recycle for you
- Ask for an electronic invoice. Help us move towards less paper in the hotel environment
- Book with Nelson City Taxis – over 75% of their fleet are hybrid vehicles
One major change for us is our promise to you that by January 2020 we would have replaced single-use toiletries with a sustainable dispenser system.
When dining with us:
- Bring your reusable coffee cups – especially if you enjoy a takeaway
- Enjoy the freshly chilled water offered at your table or available in the restaurant, as opposed to pre-packaged bottle water
- Ask for no straws – if you do need a straw may be either bring a reusable one with you. We do have disposable paper straws just in case you really need a straw.
How are we achieving our goals:
Such a good question. For a start, we are looking at our practices on a daily basis and look at sourcing more environmentally friendly product for our rooms and guests, for example
- Changing our linen to a pure green towelling product – made from regenerated cotton fibre waste
- Removing single-use plastic bin liners from our rooms and daily use
- Replacing the single-use toiletries with sustainable friendly dispensers in each room
- Investigating “Green Cleaning” – utilising bio-enzymatic cleaners that protect our Employees health as well as the environment